Sunday, May 3, 2009

Community Involvement




Doing the volunteer work
In this half semester, I mainly worked as a volunteer in community, teachers’ office, and in fashion show
In Ms baretell’s office, I did many kinds of the works, some works need people have the distinct thinking ability. Some need people to have the coherent organization. Some works were just quite trivial like clearing the office, carry the buckets…in teachers’ office things are always quite hectict. Sometimes they needed some students to help them to count the points, for the quizs which we have taken. Sometimes teachers need some students to do the computer research for the planning vocabuary. In some case they also need the students to help them organize the drawer.

I remembered when my first time to go there, I felt so exhausted, my mind was so crazy. I even couldn’t wink, because if I did it I could sleep. At that time time I applied to do some count project, like calculating the numbers, counting the the points. Ms Bartell stared at me and checked my sight for a while. She smiled, and in order to let me awaken, she let me to transport the buckets, and cut some picture from the poster. At the meanwhile some other students were doing what I wanted to do. Things like this last for few weeks. I felt like it was similar to a person to apply a job, if he/she didn’t show the good attitude to the company, and leave a bad impression to it, probably that applicant will be failed.

One day, finally I began to do somethings different. I began to do some more “official” work. Translating , for example. My goal was to translate chinese ancient folks poems “ SAN ZIJING” in English, that was the first challenging task I had met. In fact when I first saw it , I even didn’t understand it in chinese let alone translating into English . I found for doing these kinds of jobs require coherent linguistic organization, and the sense for the liberal art. Viscerally I like these kind of the works, because I think it not only help me to improve my English, but also to earn the volunteer times. As the time goes on there is a vehement feeling smouldered in my heart, my organization was : “ in GCA no matter where you are, and what do you do, English is the most important things which you to improve.

Sometimes teachers have too much, and distributed it to students randomly. So for us in order to finish it on time, colaborative spirit is extremely important. I found students could change their jobs with on another to do what they good at. In GCA, students have their own advantages in different aspects. For example, If I worked with a student who is good at modern technology, and at the meantime I was doing it, so I would probably exchange mine with him, to have the higher working efficiency. For the individual if they want to be successful, they should try to choose what they good at, however if people did something they didn’t like, that is still beneficial for them. They could learn a new skill from their weakness, and be familiar with it. Later they could reverse it as their new skill.

Through the working in the teacher office, I found although that was quite meaningful, it not only help teacher to alleviate their burden, but also let me to study some important lessons. For example, the importance to collaborate with others, to do what you are good at, and the salutary experience to deal with something which you do not like…

No comments: